Tuesday, 12 February 2019

Court adjourns Maj Mahama’s Case to allow defence lawyer to recuperate


An Accra High Court, presided over by Justice Mariama Owusu, has adjourned the trial of the alleged murderers of Major Maxwell Mahama to Thursday, February 21, to enable Mr Bernard Shaw, a defence Lawyer in the case, to commence his cross-examination of the sixth witness.
Mr Shaw, who was reported to be unwell at the last hearing date, was said to be still indisposed when the case was called on Tuesday.
At the previous session, the sixth prosecution witness, a 14-year old Junior High School student, told the Court, that she saw Akwasi Asante, one of the accused persons, take his father’s gun.
She narrated: “On May 29, 2017, when the incident happened, l went to school without picking my pocket money, so l came back home to pick the money and upon entering our room, a few minutes later, my uncle Akwasi Asante, entered to pick the gun.”
The JSS two student, whose evidence in chief was led by Mrs Evelyn Keelson, a Chief State Attorney said, she asked Uncle Asante twice, where he was taking the gun but he did not answer her.
The witness, who spoke Twi, through an interpreter, said she locked the door and left for school and it was upon her return from school that she informed his father that Uncle Asante had come for his gun.
“My father went to the Deiso Police Station to lodge a complaint, where I was invited to give my statement to the Police,” she added.
The witness was also made to identify the said Akwasi Asante in open court.
Fourteen persons are standing trial at an Accra High Court over the killing of Maj Mahama, who was an Officer of the 5th Infantry Battalion, at the Burma Camp.
He was on duty at Denkyira-Obuasi in the Central Region, when some residents allegedly mistook him for an armed robber, while he was jogging, and lynched him.
The mob had ignored his persistent plea that he was an officer of the Ghana Armed Forces.
The accused are William Baah, the Assemblyman of Denkyira Obuasi, Bernard Asamoah alias Daddy, Kofi Nyarko aka Abortion, Akwasi Boah, Kwame Tuffour, Joseph Appiah Kubi, Michael Anim and Bismarck Donkor.
Others are John Bosie, Akwasi Baah, Charles Kwaning, Emmanuel Badu, Bismarck Abanga and Kwadwo Anima.








Afoko challenges State’s Nolle prosequi at Supreme Court

Lawyers for Gregory Afoko, the man at the center of the murder of the Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) Adams Mahama, have filed an application at the Supreme Court regarding the nolle prosequi filed by the state following the arrest of Asabke Alangdi.
At the hearing at a District Court on Tuesday, lawyers revealed that they filed the application at the apex court on Monday.
But the court said it did not have a copy and therefore gave them three days to put their house in order.
The case was adjourned to Monday, February 18.
The Attorney-General in January this filed a nolle prosequi to discontinue the trial of Gregory Afoko, the man accused of killing Alhaji Adams Mahama.
The nolle prosequi followed the arrest of Asabke Alangdi, the other accused person in the trial, in Ivory Coast last Friday
Alangdi had been at large since the death of Alhaji Mahama on May 2015 at Bolgatanga.
The Minister of Information, Mr Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, announced the arrest of Alangdi at a press briefing in Accra on Monday, January 28, 2019.







No comments:

Post a Comment