Dr. Dominic Obeng-Andoh
An Accra Circuit Court has
ordered the Medical Director of Accra Regional Hospital (Ridge) to produce Dr.
Dominic Obeng Andoh, the Chief Executive Officer of Advanced
Body Sculpt Centre, also known as Obengfo Hospital for trial on Friday June 8.
The court presided
over by Harriet Jane Akweley Quaye made this order after the prosecution told
the court that Dr Obeng Andoh was unable to appear before the court due to ill health.
According to Prosecution, led by Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Stephen
Kwame Agyei, the accused person, Dr. Obeng
Andoh was on admission and cannot appear before the court unless accompanied by
his physician.
Prosecution consequently requested
the court to make an order compelling Dr. Obengfo to appear on Friday.
The court subsequently
upheld the request and adjourned the case.
Dr Obeng-Andoh,
who specialises in surgeries that enhances the body shape of people is presently
before the Circuit Court 10 on two charges of practicing medicine without a license
and operating an unlicensed medical facility between 2013 and 2016.
Though unwell
currently, he is also before an Accra Central District Court for an alleged
murder of Ms Stacy Offei Darko, a Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the
National Entrepreneurship Innovation Programme (NEIP).
Dr.
Obeng-Andoh is presently on remand.
Last week he was
expected to make an appearance before the Court but the prosecution could not make
him available since he was on admission at the Greater Accra Regional Hospital
(Ridge Hospital).
According to
the facts as presented by Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Stephen Kwame Agyei,
in July 2015, investigations by the Medical and Dental Council (MDC) revealed
that Dr Obeng-Andoh had failed to renew his annual registration to practise
since 2013.
The MDC, after
further investigations, reported the matter to the police and on December 20,
2016, the police went to the Obengfo Hospital to arrest Dr Obeng-Andoh.
The police met
him in the process of performing certain medical procedures on someone. Further
investigations also revealed that Dr Obeng-Andoh has also failed to license his
health facility which he was operating, as required by law.
Dr. Obeng-Andoh
was charged with the offences and was expected to appear before court on
February 7, 2017, but petitioned the Director-General of the Criminal Investigations
Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service to review the investigations
against him.
Prosecution
said, based on that, the court process was temporarily suspended and the case
docket was forwarded to the Attorney-General’s Department for advice.
The Prosecutor
further explained that the A-G gave its response on May 8, 2018, with a legal
advice that all the charges levelled against Dr Obeng-Andoh should be
maintained and he should also be arraigned.
It was on that
basis that the case was sent to the court.
By Maame Agyeiwaa Agyei

No comments:
Post a Comment